Saturday, May 31, 2008

Momma is saving the planet

Not really... but I am trying my hand at helping out the environment by recycling and reducing waste as much as possible. I have been doing research on the web about ways to help our planet save some valuable resources. One interesting and overwhelming fact I have come across is that 2/5's of the world's population does NOT have safe drinking water. 2/5's, that's 40%, close to HALF of our earth's population does not have clean water to drink. So, as much water as we can save, maybe by decreasing the length of showers, reducing the number of baths, and the hardest one of all (for Todd that is) turn OFF the water faucet when brushing our teeth will help. I am well aware that one person can not save the planet alone but I will do my part in saving as much water as I can, so it does not run pointlessly down the drain.

Recycling is easier than I thought. I know the recycling center here has places for clear glass, brown glass, green glass, milk jugs, plastic bottles, plastic in general, newspaper, mixed paper, cardboard and flattened cardboard boxes. I have been amazed at how much less "trash" we have since we have started recycling. We used to have one full kitchen trash bag a DAY, now I don't take out the kitchen trash but every 3 or so days. It is amazing.

I have also bought some reusable grocery bags from Food City, at $0.99 a bag. These bags are great. You can put so much more in one and they are very sturdy. Now when I bring groceries home, I do not have to carry as many bags inside and am not using plastic bags from the store.

Anyway.... I will try and post weekly tips on this site to encourage us all do our part to help preserve the planet our children and grandchildren will be living on when we are all long gone. I am by no means an extremist at recycling, as I still use disposable diapers on Makinley. Maybe I would have jumped on the cloth diaper wagon if I had done this research before she was born, but not now. Also, I am not pushing this on anyone and will not think less of you if you do not recycle. Maybe one of the tips you see here in the near future may inspire you to change a little something in your daily routine. All of our baby steps together will add up and can make a difference.

No comments: